This activity is all about building up play from the goalkeeper and the centre backs to develop possession of the ball and decision-making during a match. The defenders link play with the midfield and attack with communication right up the pitch
- Create width and depth to spread the opposition defence out
- Use quick passing out to the wings and back into the attacking areas
- Scan shoulders when receiving
- Crosses from the wide players should create shots on goal
- Shoot one touch if possible
- Ready to transition from attack to defence
Transition attack to defence
- In transition players must quickly close down the opposition to prevent quick movement and shots on goal
- Close down to block passing routes
- Don't dive into the tackle.
- Stay narrow and tight so there are no gaps to play through
- Win 1v1s
- Be first to the second ball from blocked passes or shots
- Counter attack quickly
- Don't lose the player you are marking
Transition Defence to Attack
- Immediately the ball is won see if a shot is on.
- Look forward to see if a teammate is in an advanced position and is able to shoot on goal.
- If the ball is won movement from team mates is key to keeping possession with a safety pass.
- 25 Mins
- 18 Players
- 2 Goals
- 9 Bibs
- Half pitch y
What the Players Do
Use three quarters of your normal sized pitch using the haf way line to separate the two unequal parts. The yellow dotted line is where the out of possession defenders must be in front of leaving…