This drill works on using an overload at the attacking end of the pitch with players exploiting overload situations to score goals. It is a constant wave game excellent for tactics and technique.
Individual skills help the players keep the ball and play the right pass to open up the goals
- The attacker need to pass crisply and along the ground to move at speed that defenders will find harder to cover
- Passes should be ahead of each other in the move upfield into the run of a team mate
- Receive on the furthest foot from the pass on the half turn making it easier to scan what is happening on the pitch
- Try to attack the space left by the defenders – attack down the middle and pass the ball or if the space is down the wing attack wide passing inside to beat the defender.
- Players now need to link up with the bounce player to set up a goal scoring chance.
- Good body shape to force the player with the ball inside away from goal.
- Don't jump in but press to hold up the attackers otherwise if they beat you it's easier for the attackers to score
- One defender press and one covers, and defenders must be on the balls of their feet ready to react
- 25 Mins
- 8+ Players
- 4 target Goals
- 4 Bibs
- 30 x 20 y
What the Players Do
You need four target goals on the edges of the pitch with a bounce player between the goals at each end.
Start with a 2v2 in the centre with extra players behind the goals, the two blue attackers…